LIFE+ Fresh Box Project Summary
Fresh Box is a suitable transport solution conserving quality of fresh produce, reducing waste and fuel consumption. The project aims to improve the sustainability of the distribution of fresh produce to create a more competitive sector that can offer better products to the final consumer.
Currently, the time span of storage, transportation and distribution of fresh produce from wholesaler to final consumer is exceedingly large. Storage/transportation is performed with standard containers that do not reproduce the ideal conditions of respiration rate of each type of fruit/ vegetable. The Fresh Box container will be developed in order to reduce food waste, extend fresh produce shelf life and reduce fuel/energy consumption.
The team has been formed from a transnational partnership and consists of 6 members, one from Ireland, one from Germany and the remaining four from Spain. Each member adds value to the team as a whole because they come from 3 different countries and all have experience in a different area. The project as a whole also adds value for the EU because it is in line with the current EU Legislation and other European programmes related to reducing food waste and a more sustainable Europe.
Fresh Box container characteristics:
- Active/smart container that stores/transports each type of fresh produce in the ideal conditions of respiration rate
- Monitored with an innovative Integrated Sensor Kit to check the main environmental features in the container and allow traceability
- Light, manufactured with a technology that saves energy and made of innovative recyclable material
- Can transport fresh produce harvested at a higher maturity stage: consumers will be able to enjoy fruits and vegetables with better features.
To start, fruits and vegetables will be selected in order to test their relevancy in this project. Then the Fresh Box container and the Integrated Sensor Kit will be designed. Testing the innovative features of the Fresh Box with the selective commodities follows after that and is carried out in two phases: at labatory level and during transportation (from Spain to Germany and vice versa). In order to guarantee a fluent execution of the project, all team members will be responsible for monitoring and managing the project as well as for communication and dissemination activities.
The use of Fresh Box is expected to result in:
- An extended shelf life of the fresh produce and better physical, chemical and organoleptical features
- A reduction of food waste
- Lower energy and material consumption in the production of the Fresh Box containers
- A reduction of fuel consumption
For a more detailed summary, click here.
To visit the project page, click on the following link: